Saturday 20 August 2011

Red 4 down! RIP Flight Lt. Jon Egging

(This is off topic and has nothing to do with EvE online)

So I live in Bournemouth which for the last few years has hosted a free air festival over the beach and cliffs of the Bournemouth and Poole bay.

I love it and tend to try and get down there for atleast 1 day of the 4 that it is on.

One of my favorites to watch are, of course, the Red Arrows RAF display team flying thier BAE Hawk T1A training planes.

Today is the 3rd day of the air festival in Bournemouth. Day 1 was washed out after torrential rain caused flash floods through the streets. town centre and the gardens leading down to the beach itself. Thousands of pounds worth of damage was done with manhole covers and pavements exploding upwards as the water pressure built.

Today we mourn the loss of Flight Lt. Jon Egging.

After wowing the crowds of thousands on Bournemouth beach and cliffs, which included his wife, the Red Arrows turned for Bournemouth International Airport. Before landing the Red Arrow completed one more maneuver over the airport itself.

Crowds always gather to meet the pilots as they land and the Red Arrows always do a last show for them and to thank the Air Traffic control team where they are performing.

However this time
tragedy struck for when trying to turn back for a landing, Jon lost power to his Hawk jet and fell to the ground 1 mile short of Bournemouth International Airport onto the banks of the river Stour close to Throop Watermill.

I personally know that area. I live less than 4 miles from where the plane came down and have walked the path next to the river and used the cycle path down there.

I feel quite emotional about this incident as I watched the Red Arrows from my bedroom window less than 7 hours ago.
I watched with my baby son and my partner and enjoyed the spectical and minutes later the young man was dead.

I was planning to go watch the closing display tomorrow, now I will still be going but I will be wearing red as a mark of respect to a brave man and one of the best pilots in the world.

I want to
extend my prayers and condolences to the family and friends of Jon Egging, the Red Arrow team and the engineers and ground team who worked closely with Jon.

Red 4 may be down but I believe Flight Lt Jon eggings will continue flying in every one of his team mates, friends, family and all those who saw him perform.

He Was Amazing.

Fly Dangerous o/

Mail


No comments:

Post a Comment